Monday, March 20, 2006

Redneck's Rant

I had an entirely different post written for today, all shined up and polished, ready to be served to you, dear internet. But before I post, I like to peruse my favorite blogs. Get inspired, learn something, smile, comment, do all the things a blogger is supposed to do while riding the waves of the web. But then I read something that made steam come out of my ears.

One of my favorite bloggers, Kristen, brought to light the fact that mommy bloggers are a dirty word out here, in the blogosphere. She does this eloquently and pointedly, as only she can do. Now, this is a topic that steams my petunias, primarily, because I am supposedly one of the offenders. I dare to write about my kids, my husband, and well, my life.

I no longer have any babies. Not by choice, as many of you know. But I still have kiddies and I still love them. I don't wear high waisted jeans, but I love a good turtleneck. I have driven a mini-van, with a handicapped sticker in the window to boot. I am a soccer mom but I avoid parent committees like the plague. My hubby says I am a MILF. (But by law he has to say this.) I am a mom of many contradictions. But more importantly, I am a human being with a brain in between my ears, capable of thinking above and beyond my kiddies. As well as thinking of them, from time to time. Mostly, just to feed them, but hey, I never claimed to be mommy of the year.

To all of those out there who are offended by us mothers, mommies, or to borrow Kristen's phrase, "bitch with a baby", who plug up the ol' internet, I say Grow up! How the heck did you get here? Don't you think if the internet was around back in the day, your mother would be whining about your snotty nose to anyone who would read it? Back off, and go away if you don't like us.

To the many mothers out there, who argue over whether they are a mom blog or a mommy blog, get a life. Go do something with your time, with your kids, because life is too short for this type of quibbling. It is you, the petty ones, who are giving all of us a bad name. Shame on you.

And to the many who don't want to read our mommy/mom/momma blogs, well, turn the page buckos. Cause we are here, and we aren't going anywhere.

And I am done my rant now. Thanks Kristen.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ooo-er! Stay clear, everyone!

12:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! Always a fun read here.
I'm adding you to my blog links today (housecleaning includes blog updating these days, right?)
I think I'm one of those mommy bloggers...I mean, my kids aren't little kids, but I am a mom and I write about my kids, hubby, life in general....but, I am DAMN proud of it! :)

1:01 p.m.  
Blogger Thumper said...

Eh, the same people who complain about mommy blogs are the same ones who complain about cat blogs. Wonder how they'd feel if all the mommies and cat lovers of the blogosphere starting slamming their geek/political/religious blogs...?

1:16 p.m.  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

I saw this on someone's blog saying "oh, I sooo don't want to be one of those 'mommy bloggers' but it seems all I'm talking about lately is my son!" She had a newborn fercrisesake ... I mean, isn't it natural that you would talk on your blog about the thing that is totally and completley dominating your life?

2:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it.... what's with this "mom blog or a mommy blog crap"...I read someone's blog because I find it interesting or entertaining.. or maybe just because they read my crap and I feel like reciprocating.

8:18 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

A rant worth making.

Mommy-blogger, and proud!

8:40 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I choose the blogs I read because they are interesting to read...whether it belongs to a mom or mommy is of no consequence to me. Mother's have a lot of funny stories to tell that I find interesting about their children and their antics.

If certain people have a problem with a mom or mommy blog they don't have to read it. After all it is a matter of choice.

My children are grown up and I do refer to them on my blog, along with my husband and like "ash" said, life in general.

8:35 p.m.  
Blogger Ray said...

I am both a dad and grandad of 4 kids and 14 grandkids. None are biologically mine, but yet they are all mine. I have worked as an IT Supervisor for years and heard complaint after complaint about things like this. The main thing that all complainers have forgotten is that without "mommies, kiddies, daddies, and old people" there would NOT be an internet. Without the internet, nobody would be able to blog, chat, surf or anything else that we all enjoy doing. If someone complains, tell them to shut up and call their mom since apparently they really need her to smack them into reality. I love talking about my wife, kids, and grandkids and so should anyone else who has them!

5:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home