Friday, March 10, 2006

Look out Dr. Suess, here we come

Last night, my extremely round, pregnant little sister phoned to whine to me. You see, she just figured out she was going to become a mommy and it is freaking her out. (It's a good thing too, seeing how she's set to burst on or around April 5.) The thought of being responsible for another life is a little overwhelming for a young woman. No more boozing, dancing the night away, Sex-In-The-City lifestyle.

My heart broke for her. Yeah right. For the last ten years I have either been gestating, lactating or chasing a child. Where was her support? Oh, that's right dear internet. It was somewhere in the bottom of a martini glass, clutched by a sweaty hand while gyrating out on a dance floor.

But, I am not heartless. I am not fickle. I will stand by my soon-to-be-square, future soccer-mom sister.

That was until she told me the name of her child, if the child happens to be a boy.

Ric Kayden. My eight year old son's name is Fric Aiden. See the problem here?

That's right dear internet. My sister insists on turning us into the Dr. Suess family on the block.

My honey says it will be easier to remember when the Alzheimer's sets in. Always the supportive one.

*all names have been changed to pacify my husband*

13 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Oh my the name thing would just tick me off to no end. Visiting from Michele's today.

8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Prego said...

Naming a kid is such a touchy subject. I named mine "O-Dog" and "Fletchmonster" - (names changed for anonymity and to avoid duplication.)

Congrats to your sister. Funny how people change tunes after they procreate. My brother is kidless, yet he fancies himself an expert on child rearing... I can't wait.


p

here via michele - nice to see you.

8:55 a.m.  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow! The only thing I can think of is she must really think highly of you to duplicate the name so close. Maybe she'll change her mind...could be on hormone overload right now. :o)

5:50 p.m.  
Blogger Viamarie said...

Having a baby is great news so I wish them both well.

Here via Michele's

6:29 p.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL! Well, it sounds like 'The Light Dawned"...for your sister...
(I'M HAVING A BABY?????? Yeah, you are! LOL!)

Here from Michele today!

6:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I like the new look. Kid's names... I don't have an opinion on that.

9:00 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

That would drive me absolutely over the fucking edge. What is she thinking?

Here from Michele, but you're so funny I'm adding you to my blog roll. I need more laughs.

9:06 p.m.  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

LOL!

Well...maybe she is simply in the throes of pregnancy madness. I remember some of the names I was toying with in those final months. I'd say them out loud, and people would look at me as if I were tap dancing on the edge of an 80 story balcony.

In fact, the day we were signing out of the hospital, I was alone and about to fill out the birth certificate, and my husband rushed in the with baby name book, a hostage negotiator, and a bowl of chocolate pudding in an attempt to lure me away.

And that's why my daughter is not named "Apple". (name changed to annoy Gwyneth Paltrow...she owes me $30.)

7:57 a.m.  
Blogger Mark said...

Here's to having a girl!

haha..

here via michele's

1:16 p.m.  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

OK, I am glad you said names were changed, because I was SO wondering if you really named your kid "Fric." HA!

That totally sounds like something my little sister would do. She actually got mad at us for naming our son after one of her ex-boyfriends. Only, my sister has had like too many ex's to count, it was a boyfriend from her early high school days, and it's a very common name. Yes, we chose it JUST BECAUSE it was your ex boyfriend's name, little sissy. Sigh...

11:23 p.m.  
Blogger ribbiticus said...

pregnancy affects women in many different ways, i guess. :)

9:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just precious. (Sarcasm alert.) Maybe she'll change her mind about the rhyming names!

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

Doesn't she know you should never start one name with the same letter that ends the previous name?

Sheesh.

Funny, though. I'm going through a similar situation with my assistant at work. She went through IVF and has been whining and crying for two years about wanting a baby. Now, she's pregnant, and completely freaked out about giving birth.

Hokey dokey...how did you THINK he was getting out?

(What makes me crazier is that she's "afraid" to take a class. I used to teach childbirth classes and did labor support, and I'm trying to tell her that knowing *nothing* is the worst thing you can do!)

Here via michele... sorry to take up so much room!

3:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home