Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dashing the dreams...

As a parent, I believe it is my duty to put my kid's well being ahead of my own, at all times. And I try to do this every day. I like to believe I am not screwing my kiddies up beyond a therapist's reach. On that note, last night my parenting skills took a decided turn to in the direction of "what the hell was I thinking?" In a moment of lapsed parental judgment, I decided to allow the kids to watch King Kong with me last night. Because I am the world's biggest baby, and watching a monster movie with dinosaurs, alone in the dark, would make me cry.

But my senses did not entirely flee me. I exacted promises from Fric and Frac that no matter how hairy things got, they would not have nightmares. Because at ages eight and nine, they can control their sleeping selves. My kids are no dummies. They readily agreed. Why not? They knew I was breaking a parental law my hubs and I had agreed upon. No violent, scary, age-inappropriate viewing material ever. Unless of course, hubs is at work and I really want to see a violent, scary, age-inappropriate movie. (To make myself look better in this post, I will point out that the hubs believes Harry Potter is too scary for my kids, although they have both read the books.)

It was a proud moment for me. My kids held my hand and cuddled me close during the more intense moments of the movie. (Dinosaurs terrify me.) And when the movie was over they toddled off to bed, to enjoy a blissful sleep, unfettered by visions of hairy apes and large-fanged dinosaurs.

I, however, didn't sleep a wink. And when the hubs crawled into bed I was positive it was Kong trying to snatch me away.

Consequently, I look and feel absolutely wonderful this morning. And my darling husband informed me that maybe I have learned a valuable lesson.

Perhaps I have. Next time, after viewing an inappropriate movie, I'll crawl in bed with my kiddies so they can chase away my boogie man. 'Cuz my husband won't do it for me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with amused... Either they're scared or they're too busy thinking about sex (except my husband). heh.

2:31 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

hee hee. I thought the story was going to end with Fric and Frac nightmaring all night, so the twist was unexpected and very amusing!

3:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite frankly, I think the cartoons that kids watch are much more violent and less appropriate than King Kong. Notwithstanding, your writing is outstanding.

Cheers!

5:14 a.m.  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Wow, I love you!!! I absolutely hate these kinds of movies and would so bribe an 8 and 9 year old to watch them with me, and then still be very scared. And Harry Potter is scary!! Especially books 4-6, uh-huh.

6:37 a.m.  
Blogger Erin M said...

Bwahahahahah! My husband would take the opportunity to torture me for several days,making giant gorilla noises and jumping out at me - bastard. maybe tonight you can have Fric and Frac check under your bed and in your closet before they head off to bed

8:51 a.m.  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I think today's kids can teach US a thing or two about scary movies.

I'll think about this entry the next time our kids ask for permission to watch something that pushes the envelope.

11:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home