Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm hiding in the rabbit hole

When I got knocked up, I mean pregnant, I never fully appreciated how difficult a job parenting could be. I was primarily focused on the pregnancy, the hemorrhoids, and the delivery part. I trusted within myself and my man, that we could handle anything the little buggers, er, children threw at us. And we have. Perhaps not eloquently, nor with our dignity intact, but we have managed.

As they age, new challenges are presenting themselves. Right now, academics is a top priority. They missed a lot of school when their brother died. So we are doing the proverbial dog padde to catch up.

My son Frac, is learning French in school. He believes this makes him tres sophisticated. Of course, all it makes him is a redneck's kid with a bad french accent, but who am I to kill his dreams? He came home yesterday with a previously completed school assignment which had a note attached from the teacher. Wanting to know if everything was alright at home?

WHAT??? My blood pressure rises, thinking my child is not doing as well as perceived. As I look over the french assignment I realize the problem. The assignment was a word scramble, where the kids had to make a correct sentence with the listed words, all jumbled up. At the end of the assignment, they were to use their own words and make up their own sentence. Not so difficult, right, dear internet?

Here is what my son's homework said:
A bunny hops in the grass.
He has two long ears.
He has a white tail.
His nose wiggles.
He likes to eat carrots.
I will take him home.

Sounds good, right? He managed to unscramble and put the words in the correct order. With no mistakes. My son, the genius. So what's the problem you ask?

WRITE YOUR OWN SENTENCE:
My son's response: I shot the bunny.

Should I be worried, dear internet?

6 Comments:

Blogger MrsFortune said...

I really don't know! I am an 8th grade teacher though, and if one of my students wrote that I think it would be 1) to show off for his friends, hey I'm such a bad-ass type thing, 2) to get attention from someone else.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be worried if it is one of those two things. I'm just saying he's not necessarily a serial rabbit murderer.

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Some bunnies are bad. Very very bad. Don't let those cute exteriors fool you.

6:12 p.m.  
Blogger se7en said...

heh, sounds exactly like something I would have written as a child, and no one would have been alarmed in the slightest...

8:49 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Perhaps your son just has the same biting wit as his mother.

In essence, it's ALL. YOUR. FAULT.

;)

10:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. Maybe he thinks the bunny is a sheriff and he's a closet bob marley fan.

6:36 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid we referred to passing gas as "shooting bunnies." Maybe he has gas.

-Williams Brother

8:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home