Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Open Season


November is an important month, here in Alberta. November means you are legally allowed to wander around aimlessly with a loaded weapon and take shots at anything that moves. It is open season on Bambi.

That's right, it's hunting season around these parts.

As a city-dweller, I never gave hunting season much thought. Or any thought, for that matter. But living out in the sticks, hunting has taken a whole new meaning.

We wear a lot of orange during this month.

Because you never know when some deranged, great white hunter is going to mistake you, your kids, or your dog for his trophy kill. After all, it must be hard to see clearly through that tiny little scope when your eyes are blood shot and bleary from all the strong coffee one must consume to stay warm.

Don't laugh. My mother-in-law's house has the bullet holes to prove it. Some hunters really can't hit the broad side of a barn. But can manage to miss a bull moose standing four feet in front of them, and instead take out the nearest farm house's window.

Driving down the dirt road, with open fields on either side, is nerve wracking during this particular month, with the mental image of a bullet hole in Grandma's hallway running through your mind. Didn't Dick Cheney shoot a lawyer in the ass when he mistook his backside for a bird? (I know, I know, it wasn't really his backside, it was the man's chest and face, but it's harder to make a joke about that...)

My point is, accidents happen.

The deer and the moose aren't the only things running for cover this month.

I empathise with poor old Bugs. I know how he feels.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm jumpy enough as it is without having to worry about a shotgun blast!

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger My float said...

Ah, so it's "duck" season in Alberta!

1:35 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Yikes....I'd be wearing a flak jacket and a helmet!

1:46 p.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Stay low Fish.

[And] Don't be tryin' to flash the girls at the unsuspecting hunters either.

But you know what...if it saves Bambi I say go on, show 'em your girls.

2:22 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Think about how I feel riding my motorcycle down the road and I hear shots being fired. It makes me very jumpy, but I won't worry too much until I hear the...Zzzing go past my ears.

A couple months ago someone from behind some bushes threw a firecracker in front of my bike and scared the begeebees outa me.

6:29 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm it seems hunting season has wound up here in Edmonton, pretty scary these days it seems.

8:40 p.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Yeah, that's one thing I don't miss about PA--the first day of "buck" season, which is apparently the day your deeer season starts too, was a SCHOOL HOLIDAY.

Priorities, people.

8:37 a.m.  
Blogger Binky said...

Oh, man. I'd be paranoid to the point of complete inaction. I'd sit in the basement all day with my daughter and a Baby Einstein video on repeat. Hey, maybe I'd actually get some laundry done that way. Anyway, sometimes I go off-roading with my husband in the woods and I can't stop trying to figure out the likelihood of one of us getting a bullet through the brain or some other highly necessary body part.

11:51 a.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

Memories!
Did I ever tell you I'm originally from Northern Ontario?
We don't go out much in the Fall at dawn or dusk. LOL.

4:16 p.m.  
Anonymous The Plus Size Boutique said...

Greeat blog

3:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home