Friday, May 12, 2006

Mother's Day Mommies

Mother's Day is upon us. I want to take a moment to salute the many mother's out there. Because after all, I too, am a mom. A badge of honor I proudly wear. I remember the moment I was told I was going to be a mother. My reaction wasn't something anyone would want captured on a mother's day card. Instead of tears of joy and happy gushing, there were tears of "OH MY GOD, what the hell am I going to do now!!??". (I believe there may have been a few cuss words thrown in there somewhere too.)

Since then, I have mellowed a bit. Stretch marks can do that to you. Having a small child gnaw on your breasts with toothless jaws of steel, can do that to you. Having to clean up untold amounts of urine, poop and puke can do that to you. Having to wipe up bloody noses and skinned knees over and over, until you are a glorified nurse, can do that to you.

As I have grown up with my kids, I have discovered there are many different types of moms out there. There are the traditonal types, like my sister in law, who bakes cookies on a daily basis, and never raises her voice. With five kids. (I figure she must slip in a sedative in the cookie dough, because how the hell else can she get through a day with out yelling?)

Then there are the complacent types, happy to have children as long as the ride doesn't get too bumpy. I have a girlfriend who is like this. The type of mom where it is easier to let their children morph into psychotic little monster's who would glady tear your throat out and then stomp on it, than actually discipline them.

Then there are the mom-Nazi's, who are against everything. Video games, music videos, Walt Disney. The Smurf's are satan-mongerers, dammit, and no you can't watch the Teletubbies. Shut up, play your flute and eat your granola. The mommies who would rather wrap their precious children in bubble wrap than a cute jumper from Old Navy. We all know the type.

Of course, there are the hip, cool mommies, (like me) who like to think they are a bit of everything above, and more. They try to avoid the dreaded mom jeans, they can make a decent cookie and video games are okay as long as everyone's head stays on through the game. No killing. Smurfs are just blue midgets who sing an annoying song about the morals of living in a blue society. But everyone knows Barney is a tool of the devil. Along with Dora. (Thank be God, my kids have grown out of this stage.)

What ever type of mother you have, or may be, I salute you. Because being a mother is a labour-intensive (pardon the pun), time-consuming, lack-of-respect job. And it takes all kinds of mommies to make this world go round.

18 Comments:

Blogger T said...

I am not the perfect mom that bakes cookies every day. Trust me I don't need to eat more cookies.
I can often be heard begging my kids to be nice to each other and not make a mess but, I'm definately not one of those permissive moms that lets their kids rule the roost. I'm not crazy about the video games but I allow them and I've even put up with Barney.

I just hope that all my yelling, pleading, hugging, wiping tears, reading, laundry, dishes, cooking and generaly just being there will be enough. I guess I'll find out in about 20 years.

Happy Mothers Day!

9:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day back at'cha!

10:22 a.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

I'm like the already made cookie baking momma. Toss 'em in the oven and viola! fresh baked cookies from moms oven.

I hope you enjoy your special day...I know I will. I am going to be doing nothing. Not a thing. I'll be lucky if I take a shower that day.

Happy Mother's Day to ya!

12:10 p.m.  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

"Shut up, play your flute and eat your granola."

LMAO You gotta put that on a T-shirt someday. Priceless.

Happ Mother's Day!

12:18 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mother's Day falls on fishing opener hreabouts. Good for fishing moms, anyway.

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I had the same reaction as you when I found out I was pregnant with Julia. Biggest shock of my life, that was.

I salute you too...Mom's with nose rings rock! LOL! Have a great Mother's Day.

1:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snort* love the pic you added. There's a few moms like that in daughters figure skating club. They drive me insane.

1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Mom101 said...

And we salute you right back. Happy mother's day, T

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger Lindsay said...

HAPPY mommas day to you too!!!!

2:54 p.m.  
Blogger Christina said...

Happy Mother's Day to you as well! I consider myself a semi-hip mama just trying to scrape by. I'm in no way permissive, but I gladly let the TV babysit for an hour or so a day.

Oh, and Barney doesn't even exist in our household.

3:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moms are special and deserve all the praise that can be bestowed upon them.

7:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to one of the hippest moms on the net!

10:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad we can be a combination of those. I started to panic when I couldn't find my tribe.

Lucky for me, you and I are in the same tribe. (but I let my nose piercing close up)

Great post :)

Happy Mother's Day!

10:45 p.m.  
Blogger Erin M said...

T, I wante dto stop by and wish you a happy mothers day. I know that it may be a bit bitter sweet for you and i wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts (((hugs)))

8:19 a.m.  
Blogger craziequeen said...

Belated Happy Mother's Day :-)

I think you're a cool mom, and I bet your kids do too :-)

cq

10:08 a.m.  
Blogger Stacy said...

I'd like to think I am a cool mom! So from one laid back mama to another - Happy Mother's Day!!

12:20 p.m.  
Blogger Gina said...

What a great salute! I know every "type" you just mentioned and we are from two different countries. Yes, it takes all types to make the world go round for sure!

12:23 a.m.  
Blogger My float said...

I'm with you on Barney. There's seriously something wrong there, not to mention all those wired up Stepford kids who dance and sing. In any other scenario, they'd be slapped down.

Hope you had a wonderful mothers day. Loved the tribes. OK, OK, I hate the tv. But I yell occasionally and make decent cookies. No piercing yet, but working up the courage!!

2:16 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home