Friday, May 26, 2006

Like Father Like Son

Just a quick post this morning, as I am off to play in the dirt. But before I make my way to the greenhouse, I have to stop and go to the elementary school. My son, Frac, is receiving an award. Whoo hoo! Before you get all excited for him, dear internet, there is something you should know. This school is the type of morale-boosting school which rewards every child at some point in the school year. They reward creativity, punctuality and good behaviour. The child gets called up in front of the entire school audience (students, parents and the odd vagrant) and praised for their good deed. They get to shake hands with the principal and then receive a piece of paper, referred to as a commendation.

As I sit and watch other children receive their praise for various deeds of scholarly improvement, I will hold my breath with anticipation and trepidation, knowing that this in now my only son, a representative of his family. He is the reflection the small town see's on my ability to parent and cope. Nothing like a little pressure on an eight year old.

Last year he was rewarded for not visiting the principal's office for three days in a row. Victory! It was a proud moment for me. The year before he was rewarded for finally learning to sit quietly in the library. Do you notice a theme? So I am curious to see what sort of improvement my boy has made this year. Maybe he finally learned to stop chasing the girls and hiding their shoes.

I'm so proud of my boy. He's best friends with the principal, he knows proper library etiquette and he's a ladies man, through and through. Just like his daddy.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. My kids give me that kind of honor too. My Boo was the 1st in the family to visit the principle at the great old age of 5. My Monkey & Bug both had a race to see who can go there the most this year over not doing homework, & of course, the principle blames me for bad parenting. I guess me standing over them with a gun to their heads, is not doing enough?;)

Is it alright to post your blog on my Bebo page?

9:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What eight year old boy HASN'T been to the principal's office repeatedly?! Being quiet in the library really is commendable- I can't do it! Ahhh, another summer- must be nice in Canada, we were in Idaho, and I miss the AMAZING summers. Texas is hot and nasty.

9:51 a.m.  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Good boy!!!
I was one of those kids that could NEVER shut my mouth in any quite place in school!
Have a GREAT weekend!!!

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Aww, good for him! I see that in my future with Oliver. ;)

12:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. It's the little things, right? Small victories.

I'm happy for you and him, though.

12:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to find out what award he got. The 8 year old boys of my childhood would have been lucky to get one for not attaching mirrors to their shoes for more than a week straight.

6:56 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Whatever award he gets, you'll be proud of him. It's nice that they recognize the small accomplishments as well as the large ones...I like his school.

7:46 p.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Boys will be boys!

10:47 a.m.  
Blogger My float said...

so... what award did Frac get? Sounds like the school is a bit rough on your little fellow!

2:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home