Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Name Game

Things are looking up around here. I have the ability to flush the toilet and start my car. I now sleep with my keys under my pillow and know where my water line is located. See? I have learned something these past few days. Tomorrow night I pick up my pooch. And I have to tell you, the puppy is coming at just the right time. He's gonna take some of the heat off my dear hubs.

But naming this pooch has been more difficult than naming any of my three kids. With my daughter, I knew I wanted something unique. Something nobody would have. So I gave her a beautiful moniker. And now that she is school aged I have discovered I wasn't nearly as clever as I thought. There are four of her name in her grade alone. I do believe there are over a dozen with the same name in the school. With only 200 kids in this school. Yes, I am so clever...

I learned with my son. I gave him a name no one had. Except for a character on a now defunct police show. Played by a handsome blonde man. I would tell you but then I'd have to kill you. For this handsome blonde man is really famous and the show was named after his character. But his name has served my son well. There are no duplicates and eight years later no one asks me if I named him after that damn show. Which, by the way, I didn't. I found it in a name book. No, no, I'm not defensive about this...

My third child, my angel boy, we decided to name after our grandparents. Poor thing. We stuck him with a Norwegian and a Swedish name, both of which were unusual and hard to pronounce. No one could say, spell or understand his name. But it was unique. I'm sure if we lived in Norway however, he would have fit right in. If we had known what was the matter with our son we probably would have just named him Jason or Tom. Something easy. But, like the boy named Sue, if it didn't kill him, it would make him strong, right??

But my dog, my dog is a different story. The pressure is on for me to give this dog an appropriate yet unique name. Thank you for all your help, dear internet. I narrowed the list down to five: Finnigan (too many syllables), Hoss (my hub's favorite), Simon (the front-runner), Cletus (my favorite but apparently sounds too much like clitoris. Dirty minded people.) and Otis (the kids loved it.)

Picture me standing outside in my yard yelling out these names. Calling my imaginary dog. Good thing I live out in the sticks. And in the end, none of the five on the short list made the cut. I went a different route.

I went the way of Watergate.

I'll introduce you to my pup Saturday morning. After the hubs and kids meet little Nixon.

12 Comments:

Blogger Motherkitty said...

Naming your dog reminds me of the time we had a nice black dog and our son named him "Ralph." One day I came home from work, stood on the front porch, and yelled for the dog at the top of my lungs, as in "Ralph, here, Ralph," who was running all over the neighborhood. As I was calling the dog for the fourth time, I noticed someone coming out of the Board of Education building across the street. He stopped and was looking at me strangely. Then I realized that the person looking at me was named Ralph -------- and he thought I was calling him. I quickly forgot about the dumb dog and crept into the house. I never could face that guy again.

I suggest you name your new dog something masculine like "Thor." Short, sweet, to the point and a name not normally given to a person (unless you are a Norse god).

9:35 a.m.  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Nixon. That's a great name.

10:21 a.m.  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

Ha! Great choice. And you'll be sure to raise a few eyebrows with it at some point. ;^)

10:52 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*delurking*

Nixon, eh? What a fabulous name for a pooch. Is he a Bassett Hound by chance? I always thought Nixon looked like a hound.

I am a big fan. Don't go changin'.

11:47 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all honesty, in the end it won't matter much what you name your dog. Because I can guarantee you'll be calling him something else. All the time. Unless he is naughty.

Take for example my Zoey. Yes her name is Zoey, but I hardly ever her call her that. 90% of the time I am calling out Princess (although it comes out sounding like Pwincess, because I am talking in that retarded dog voice - you know the one that makes them understand English better.) Oh and btw, before I started calling her that, I loathed that word. But she is afterall, a PWINCESS.

The other 10% of the time I am calling her Doe. Or Doey. I apparently like D's better than Z's.

Which leads me to my next dog's name, which is Diesel. Although his 'real' name (meaning his registered name) is Highmeadow's Fuel for the Fire. Yeah, he's a fancy show dog. Not that that matters. So I picked a name with a D. But I don't even call him anything resembling that most of the time. Usually it's Boog (short for booger.)

So I can't wait to hear what name you decide on. And then I can't wait to hear what you really call him.

11:57 a.m.  
Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

What GreatDaneAddict said.

All of my dogs have long fancy 'human' names (Sebastian, Nicholas, Theodore, etc - I was in the throes of infertility at the time, what can i say) but I never call them by those names. Sebastian is Baz, Theodore is just 'Tee' and my Reginald? Well ... I call him 'Crazy Dog', 'cuz he is.

-Blue

12:28 p.m.  
Blogger OMDG said...

My family always gives our pets people names. That way, we can name our children after them. For instance, I was named after my mother's parakeet. I am serious.

3:46 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Nixon is a good name. Masculine, not too many syllables. Congratulations on reaching a decision!

I'll be looking forward to seeing the photos of Nixon the pup!

4:16 p.m.  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I like Otis, too. A dog can't have a normal-sounding name. It just doesn't come out right when you're yelling a normal-sounding name at a dog who's taking a shit in your neighbor's yard.

5:42 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Nixon...I like that name and I've never heard of a dog named Nixon. Tomorrow we get to see him, hooray!

7:52 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it's better than Bush.

9:13 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Where's Nixon? It's Saturday night...is he ok?

6:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home