Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Remembering Our Blessings

I've been honest about how I'm struggling to find my festive spirit this year. It's difficult to acknowledge the magic of Christmas when my heart feels like it's been ripped out and trampled on by a throng of sale-happy shoppers.

It is hard to remember to be merry and it is even harder to remember to be thankful for all that I have. After all, I lost perhaps the biggest part of my soul just over a year ago.

But then something comes along and makes a person appreciate all that they have. And I have a lot. I have my health; a wonderful, albeit sometimes dense, and all too often absent husband; two beautiful, healthy children; and my own personal angel waiting for me at the pearly gates. Oh, and let's not forget Nixon, the World's Greatest Dog. Ever.

Not every one has this much.

I am thankful. I am blessed.

So if you have a few extra bucks hanging around, (and let's face it, it's Christmas, we're all rich, what with all the money trees we grow in our back yards) I ask you to go visit a friend and help children who are suffering. Bid at this auction, buy some tickets to help support a worthy cause. Because not every person is born healthy. And not every parent gets to watch their children grow up.

I know.

And then go see another good friend of mine. Whose little boy is also very sick. And the family is struggling to make basic ends meet. Go, buy some of his art. Support his cause and help a family who has walked the path that I, and so many others have walked.

Because sometimes that path is a lonely, desolate road, with the only end in sight the end no one wants for their child.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Amen sistah. We're all very lucky to have what we do. And I have no problem plucking some bills from my money tree (I keep mine in the basement, so's nobody can steals from it) to help a worthy cause.

And hugs to you during this difficult time.

9:05 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this time must be terribly tough T. Thanks for sending folks are way.

12:12 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would be happy for every post by any person in December to be pointing the way to those who need a little extra love and help right now. Thanks for being honest with us about your pain AND for looking to help others.

1:13 p.m.  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

I love you, "little Sis." Thanks for mentioning us. You know my feelings already so 'nuff said.

Weird...Boo's in the wilderness and no chicks are around? You don't think...nevermind.

5:38 p.m.  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

How did you know about that money tree? Have you been spying on me?

Thanks for posting that... I will definitely check in on both counts.

7:30 p.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

Well said.
Sometimes I forget that stuff.

Particularly every 28 days. Feel my pain sistah.

12:01 p.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

We are blessed...even during times we don't see it.

Have a great weekend!

7:58 p.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

xoxoxoxoxoxo

*I* am blessed that you're my friend.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

8:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home