Friday, September 22, 2006

Romeo

As parents, we all want the very best for our children. We want them to love, be loved, to succeed, and ultimately, to be happy. I like to think that Boo and I are doing alright. We don't beat our kids (I prefer useless threats i.e. if you don't do the dishes I'm not going to feed you for a week. How do you like them apples?) We take time to foster a rapport with them. (Generally by having conversations about which boy or girl they like, while hoping fervently that when they say "date" they mean holding hands or tugging pigtails.) We spend quality time with our kids. (Granted, it may be in front of the boob tube, but they do cuddle with me on the couch. That's gotta count, right?)

Boo and I want to give our kids the all the opportunities that we didn't have the luxury of when we grew up. That means soccer games, skating lessons, basketball, and swimming. We allow them to pick a sport a season, so that I may have the privilege of sitting (and usually shivering), watching and enjoying my offspring develop.

I know I am a good mother. I don't need anyone to tell me. I know this just by seeing the love reflected in my children's eyes. I know this because, quite simply, they haven't been carted off to the funny farm or locked behind steel bars. (Yet. I know they're still young.)

So why is it, when Fric's teacher, Mr. H, phoned last night and left a message saying he had to speak to me regarding my son, terror struck deep in my soul. Like I had been caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Revealed to be the lousy parent I secretly fear others think I may be. And when he said the issue was of some sensitivity, why is it my mind raced to every bad scenario possible? Was he a bully? Was he a crybaby? Was he hiding school schematics and downloading pictures of automatic rifles?

Suddenly, it was like I was fourteen again, and I was in the principles office awaiting punishment for organizing a protest rally that resulted in vandalism. (There's a post for another time.) What could I, as his mother possibly have done?

Turns out, nothing. This one is on his father's head.

It seems my boy is somewhat of a Casanova. A ladies man. And he's into inappropriate displays of public affection. Damn him, for trying to kiss the cute ten year old girls on the playground. My own little Romeo.

His father is soooo proud.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

better he should be a lover than a fighter, no? :)

(i mean, i would so much rather be called about my son kissing girls than him fighting or acting out etc.)

10:01 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with ali. At least he isnt fighting. My best friend gets called all the time for her son being expelled (hes 9) cause he is a fighter and he is mean and manipulative. So you are getting off very lucky

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

How cute!...Yeah, I agree with the others, it's better to try to kiss a girl than to be in trouble for fighting and being a bully.

10:59 a.m.  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I absolutely agree with you. And I was relieved to find out the only trouble he was making was of the amourous kind.

However, the school does not agree. They have a no touch policy and he has been warned about this in past grades. (He's been a ladies man from day one.)

The school is treating this incident fairly serious, and both kids involved (mine and the girl) are in trouble.

The thing is, they aren't even NINE yet. And it's not like they were caught hot and heavy in the shoe closet with his hand up her skirt.

They never even touched lips. But apparently the intent is enough to get a phone call home.

Which leaves me with the problem.

Funny, I remember stealing my first kiss when I was seven. His name was Shawn and he was nine. He was dreamy....

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I kissed a boy when he and I were in third grade (which would have made us about eight, maybe). I told him I had a secret to tell him, so he had to get close to me, then I planted one on his cheek and ran away. He made disgusted noises and rubbed the kiss off his face, then probably chased me around for a minute. BTW, that was the big game when I was a kid: girls chase the boys, or boys chase the girls. We would've been so busted by today's standards.

What does the school suggest you do about it, especially if nothing has actually happened?

12:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! LOL I read about one child that was suspended from school for kissing. Thank goodness it's not that way in Canada, my daughter would have spent more time being suspended than in school. LOL I don't see where your son did anything wrong. LOL

Ps; My husband's name is Shawn LOL

5:52 p.m.  
Blogger Daisydee said...

What has happened to our small town school?

You better watch that boy...lol

9:29 p.m.  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Being a 10 year-old ladies man ain't so bad! If he starts asking for the Barry White CD and if the car has a large backseat, then start freaking out.

10:58 p.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

Ahhh, grade school romance. I bet if he were at my daughter's school she woulda like his "presents" the best.

;)

Its a shame we live in a world today that little boys and girls sneaking kisses behind the swingset end up charged with sexual harassment.

11:08 p.m.  
Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Yeh, I think it's cute too. I guess a teacher has to address it if little girls are coming up to him with hickies and stuff complaining, but geesh...

7:14 a.m.  
Blogger OMDG said...

What gets me is that this "touching" is clearly consentual for both of them. Well sooner or later he'll learn to make sure the teacher's not looking. And then he can really get up to some shenanigans.

Sheesh. And we thought schools were bad here in the US! At least they haven't suspended him

1:07 p.m.  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

Just wait until he wants to start playing "doctor." I once heard of a six y/o who was suspended from school for trying to kiss one of his classmates (his parents had taught him to act on his emotions and not feel ashamed to kiss someone). What kind of message are we giving our kids these days? That feeling something for someone is bad? That displaying affection, however innocent, is bad? That natual emotions are bad? They are trying to cover their behinds and the natural curiosity of kids will suffer. We will end up with a generation of neurotic sexual perverts if we don't watch out.

Gads, we used to play Post Office all the time and it didn't hurt any of us.

10:21 p.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL..I love that! I hope the little girl was truly enjoying this so called inappropriate kissing! My first important boyfriend was a great GREAT kisser, at ten years old...and I have never forgotten him!

1:25 a.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Ooops! I meant to say we were BOTH 8 years old, at the time!!! It was memorable.

1:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He definetly takes after his father!! Maybe you should move to the east coast where we encourage touching!!!

3:10 p.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

Buahahahaaaaaa!

Ooooh, you bad mother, you.

*giggle*

3:10 p.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

But I also have to come back and say that school rules, and some parents, are just WAY to out of control these days. It boggles the mind.
At the age of our kids? C'mon!

3:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home