Monday, April 17, 2006

Ode to Boo


Thirty one years ago today, my mother-in-law huffed and puffed her youngest son into existence. That's right, dear internet, it's my husband's birthday.

In honor of such a holiday, I am dedicating this post to Boo, my man. When you were six and you wore that horrible brown and orange striped shirt and insisted I sit on the horse with you, you loved me. It didn't matter to you that I wanted to sit with your older, cuter brother. You just made me hold on tight.

When you were 15 and you hammered my last nail into the post that I asked you not to, you loved me. It didn't matter to you that I hurled said hammer at you with the intent of killing you. You merely ducked.

When you were 17 and my mother asked you to be my date for my prom, you loved me. It didn't matter to you that I refused to dance with you and barely talked to you all evening. You smiled anyway.

When you were 18 and the officer wanted to know if the lady in the backseat, without her shirt on, was alright, you loved me. It didn't matter to you that the big ole' man had a Billy club to your chest and a flashlight in your face. You learned to pick a more remote spot for our make out sessions.

When you were 21 and you walked down the aisle to say "I do", you loved me. It didn't matter that you were marrying in to the most dysfunctional family you ever met. You were happy to become the zoo keeper.

When you were 30 and I told you our son died, you loved me. It didn't matter that our world shattered in the beat of a heart, you held my hand and wiped my eyes. You soldiered on for me, and our kids.

I don't know what the next 31 years will bring, and to be honest, I don't care. Because as long as I have you by my side, kicking and screaming, I can handle anything. I love you Boo. Always have. It just took me a few years to know it.

Happy Birthday big guy. If you play your cards right, Mr. Pickle might be allowed to come out and play.

15 Comments:

Blogger Thumper said...

Happy Birthday to Boo!

And do all little boys have to wear that horrible brown and orange striped shirt? I'm pretty sure I even made my kid wear one once...

He sounds like a keeper!:)

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger My float said...

Oh! How lucky you both are.

Sounds like Mr Pickle will be HAPPY TONIGHT!!

3:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do these things simply because I love you. Always have always will and till death do us part. Hopefully not any more death anytime soon though. I truely do love you.

Boo

4:18 p.m.  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Oh my I have tears in my eyes.

This made me think of "The Princess Bride" where she realizes that everytime Wesley says "As you wish" he is saying "I love you." What an awesome movie, and it sounds like you have an awesome man.

7:27 p.m.  
Blogger Christina said...

Awww...that was really sweet. Nothing says love like a hammer flying towards you head.

Happy birthday Boo!

7:29 p.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL, LOL! What a delightfilly dear post! It really is one of the sweetest Brithday Cards I've ever read. It's funny and touching and says so very much about you and your dear husband...I hope you will be togetrher forever and then some!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR BOO!

and, btw: I have put up my 100 things about me post, in honor of my 100th post! If you have a chance, come on by.

ALways a pleasure to visit you and get your heartfelt and humorous take on everything in your world, my dear.

9:25 p.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Happy birthday to the Hubby!!!!

9:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Really sweet. You guys have known each other forever! That's really cool.

Happy birthday (i will not call him Boo).

11:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done. May you and Boo enjoy many more "happy birthdays."

5:12 a.m.  
Blogger Erin M said...

Happy Birthday Boo

Hopefully the flying hammers will be few and far between (or at least badly aimed) over the next 31 years

9:04 a.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh my, there goes my mascara....

Hope it was a great birthday!

11:03 a.m.  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

This made me cry. Granted, I'm a weeper, but still. Beautiful. Your husband is a lucky man.

6:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:01 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday Boo...you are one lucky guy.

6:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday big guy! I'll give you your present in 9 years when I make it out there again! Love Ya!
Jojo

4:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home