Monday, June 05, 2006

A Blessing Beyond the Vomit

All is well that ends well. Fric is back at home, moaning and groaning with the best of them. My little drama queen will recover to one day prance around to the beat of Shania and imitate her idol, Ms. Britney. Around here, we like to set the bar high. Of course, her father missed all the action. He missed her freak out when she had her I.V. inserted. He missed her freak out right before the anesthetic kicked in and she bucked like a wild thing. He missed her subsequent awakening and the vomiting that followed. He missed the tears, the whining and the complaining. (Okay, that last part was all me, but he still missed it.)

There were a few memorable moments. Like when my daughter was in the O.R and I wandered up to the old folk's section to engage in a debate on local politics. I almost didn't make it out of that wing alive. Who knew that a bunch of aging blue blood conservatives still had that much energy to rant and rave about the demons who call themselves Liberals. Apparently, me and my nose ring are entirely responsible to the down fall of civilized society.

Then there was the moment in the recovery room, when my disoriented daughter told the nurse to go to hell after being asked if she was feeling alright. And then proceeded to vomit on the poor nurse. It was a proud moment for me. All of a sudden, my sweet child was replaced with puke-spewing devil the likes of which belonged up on the big screen. I kept waiting for her head to turn all the way around...Sadly, I was disappointed.

And of course, there was the reunion with all the doctors and nurses who knew the Bug, and didn't know he had died. Quite the conversation killer, when asked how Shalebug was doing only to be told he passed away in October. I didn't know who to feel more sorry for, them or me.

But in the end, it wasn't so bad. This time, I came out with what I brought in; my daughter. Because no one knows better than I do that there are and will be parents who will walk that same lonely walk out of the hospital that I had to do.

Suddenly, one head-spinning, vomit spewing, foul mouthed demon-daughter became the blessing she is. Puke and all.

18 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Glad to hear you're all doing well!

8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:59 a.m.  
Blogger Erin M said...

It must have been frightening for you to walk into that hospital again. I'm glad that everyone is well and agree teh day my daughter tells someone to go to hell and then vomits on them will be a proud day indeed!

9:08 a.m.  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

I love that your daughter told the nurse to go to hell and then barfed. The "brave soldier" act is way overrated, anyway. ;^)

Hugs to you on the Shalebug reminders...

1:23 p.m.  
Blogger mamatulip said...

What a whirlwind of emotions for you...I'm glad Fric is home, where you can keep her under your watchful eye.

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger My float said...

Sounds like the operation was a precursor for teenage-hood - lots of swearing and vomiting!Your sweet little daughter is just preparing you.

The lonely walk out of the hospital is one I can't even imagine. My thoughts are with you.

2:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geezus! A few days away and look what I miss!
Glad all is well, and I must say that Nixon is way too cute.
Very, very cute.

2:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just spent the last little bit reading back to see what you had gone through and piecing it together.
You are one strong woman.
I can't even imagine...

2:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Glad you're back, T.

3:23 p.m.  
Blogger T said...

Glad it all went Ok. Spending time in hospital for any reason makes you count your blessings.
I hope you were kind to the vomit nurse in hell.

3:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

told the nurse to go to hell

That is too funny. I'm sure many of us have wishes we could do that without the inevitable repercussions.

I can only imagine how painful it was for you, but I'm glad that you and Fric are home and well.

3:58 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The hospital can be a scary place, things can turn bad in just one moment and I'm glad that everything went well and that you have your little Fric back home again...vomiting and all.

8:28 p.m.  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Heartfelt wishes sent your way. Glad all is well--puke and all.

8:51 p.m.  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

I'm glad she's better...

and big ((((hugs)))) to you..

2:48 p.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is a wonderful example of who you are "T"..you can combine humor and the deepest most heart breaking and touching things, ALL in one gloriously written post.
You convey so very very much. Thank you, my dear..

Hope Fric is feeling a lot better than when she threw up all over that nurse...and you too...you touch my heart---you truly do.

7:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it all went well.

8:28 p.m.  
Blogger Ruth Dynamite said...

You are a rock. That's all I have to say. I admire you.

9:08 p.m.  
Blogger What's so funny? said...

I couldn't quite figure out what landed you both there. But I'm very glad it all went well.

12:27 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home