Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Fairy Is Born

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful lady who gave birth to her fair haired darling. People would stop by her room and gaze upon this lovely golden child and then ask "Where did she come from? Is she the milk man's daughter?" The beautiful lady would finger her own raven locks and serenely reply, "No, she must have fairie blood in her." And to prove this point, the beautiful lady would point to the golden child's right ear, which is indeed, the pointed ear of a fairy.

Well, mother, I do believe time has shown it's hand, and I'm no fairy. But I do still believe in them. Especially today, the day of my birth.

So as I sat and pondered, I thought to myself, how do I celebrate my 31st birthday? Do I get another tattoo? (Not if I wanted to keep my husband) Do I do more body modification? ( The only parts left to pierce are a tad sensitive. Ouch.) Do I throw myself a birthday party, grab a bottle of vino and sit in the corner, rocking out and mulling over my life? (Too depressing. I'll do it for my 37th.)

Then it dawned on me: In my bloggy absence I missed my dearest friend, Jojo's birthday. I had big plans for that post. So why don't I kill two egos birds with one post?

You see, I met Jojo when I was twelve. I was this awkward, gangly misfit who would cry at the drop of the hat. I walked into my grade 7 class and the only damn seat left was the seat directly in front of the teacher's desk. Any hope for becoming a cool kid quickly disappeared as I took my seat and fought back tears. As I looked around, I saw other sniveling, nervous kiddies but in the back of the room a girl quickly caught my eye. She was wearing makeup. Heavy green eyeliner and frosted pink lipstick. She was sooo cool. We were destined to be friends.

She took pity on me, and I charmed her with my superior wit and sharp intellect. And we became fast friends. Bus rides home, shopping at the mall, bike rides back and forth between houses, and scary seances in the spare room complete with candles. Jojo was the only friend who would rent Friday the 13th movies for me and then provide me with a pillow to scream into and headphones to tune the sounds of torturous screams out of my mind.

Then her family moved across the damn country. And it broke our hearts. But every summer she would come back.

Jojo was my only friend in the city who knew and loved my parents. My dad's redneck ways amused her and my mom's shrew-like anger amused her. Some how she managed to do what I never could do. She charmed my parents. Her easy laughter and stupid jokes made them love her even more. And I would wish the summer would never end.

Together we were so cool. Even when we put pillows on our heads and walked around like goobers, we rocked. Even when Jojo got so drunk that she hurled all over the inside of my dad's brand new truck, we rocked. Or the time that we stayed up until 6 a.m. thinking that my dad wouldn't notice, and snuck back into my bedroom, we rocked. Although, when he woke us up at 8 a.m. and told us to get our asses in gear and paint the fence, we didn't rock so much then.

And then there was the time my dad, while wearing nothing but a pair of dirty tighty whiteys, chased my boyfriend down the block, we alternated between hysterical giggles and overdramatic tears. But we rocked.

And when my beautiful son, Shalebug died last October, she flew across the country to spend ten days with me. She mourned the little man she never knew. She looked at endless photos and listened to me sob. She held my hand and wiped my tears. She made me laugh. She made me watch Survivor. (Could you tell I was in shock?) She charmed my kids and swept my floors. She reminded me it was okay to laugh while I cried and to remember the dead by telling silly stories. And when she was convinced I wouldn't walk off a bridge or neglect my kids, she hugged me hard and flew home. Like a pillow-wearing angel.

Last year, on my 30th birthday, surrounded by Boo and friends, I toasted that my 30th year would be my best year ever. 24 days later, my world crashed and I lost a piece of myself I will never get back. It has taken me all of this year to put the pieces of who I am back together. And like a broken vase, hastily mended with glue, the pieces don't all fit perfectly. Some are missing altogether. But I'm mending, with the glue of friendship.

So today, on my 31st birthday, instead of mourning this past year, I choose to celebrate some of the best times of my life. And show you, dear internet, my awkward geekiness. Which has morphed into this Redneck Mommy. Today, I celebrate what these three decades have brought me. And instead of looking toward the future, I want to pay homage to my past.

Because in my 31 years I have only been blessed with a few kindred spirits. Boo, Roxylynn, and Jojo. All three must be fairies too.

I love you all.

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart woman.

9:46 a.m.  
Blogger Weekends Off said...

Woman you made me tear up here at work reading that!!!! You have been blessed with a very good friend there....

Happy Birthday, I hope you spend it doing only the things you want to do!

9:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday girl!! You do rock!! I value your friendship more than you will ever know. You are my sister by choice. I love you so much! I hope you have a great day! :^)

10:23 a.m.  
Blogger Binky said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to friends that stick by you. Cheers!

11:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God. You are lucky I am on the other side of the country! And you're lucky I really love you! Happy Birthday! And yes, we did rock!!

11:34 a.m.  
Blogger Lindsay said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was a GREAT post.....
thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
hugs

12:25 p.m.  
Blogger Ellen Landrum said...

Happy birthday T!! What a wonderful post. Thanks-

12:55 p.m.  
Blogger B.E.C.K. said...

What an awesome post, and an awesome friend. Happy birthday, chica!! :-)

1:41 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! I am glad you have such a friend.

2:29 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey!

Happy Day after my Birthday! Because its all about me. Gotcha by 7 years. It only gets better!

2:48 p.m.  
Blogger My float said...

How rare those kindred spirits are.

Happy birthday, RM.

3:14 p.m.  
Blogger Jellyhead said...

Happy Birthday to the cutest, coolest fairy, T!!

I am so glad you have these three wonderful people in your life.

4:02 p.m.  
Blogger Daisydee said...

Happy Birthday T!! I hope you had a great day. I am so very glad that I have come to get to know you. You're a great person with a big heart. *HUGS*

4:24 p.m.  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

T, what can I say but happy, happy birthday to a very special, sweet, beautiful friend. I can remember when I was 31, back about a century ago. I was a fairly new mother and I felt I could do anything. It was such a beautiful time in my life.

I wish you peace and joy. You are so lucky to have such good friends. Because I can't be with you in person today, I will instead send you a huge motherkitty hug across the internet along with my best wishes. Hope you have a wonderful evening celebrating your birthday with those you love.

4:27 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

Happiest of birthdays, T. Your friends and your love seem like wise and loving people. May they comfort you, love you and play with you all your days.

Raising a glass to you ...

5:06 p.m.  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh T, this was so beautiful. You two obviously have an amazing friendship.

Happy Birthday to you! Cheers!

8:11 p.m.  
Blogger What's so funny? said...

Beautifully written. Happy Birthday to you, T. I'm so, so glad you're back.

The paragraph about the vase and friendship and glue - read that twice. Loved it.

Rock on with your bad self.

8:52 p.m.  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Happy birthday!!!

You make me teary eyed now all the time. 31 huh? I remember 31...*sigh*

Hope your day was filled with lots of laughter and love!

8:53 p.m.  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I hope you have spent it doing things you enjoy, thinking of sweet memories, and also of happy thoughts of good things to come. You really deserve it! Happy Birthday!

9:28 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy Birthday to you and to your very good & faithful friend.
I know that your birthday must have been bittersweet this year, but keep thinking of the good memories and the funny things to laugh at.
You are surrounded by people that love you and I'm not just talking about those there at home, but us out here...your dear blogfriends. We care very deeply for you.

Sending BIG hugs your way,
Sandy

9:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday hun. :)

10:22 a.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

Geeeez woman!!!!
How'd you end up making me laugh and cry at the same time?
I loved this. LOVED it.

And I can't get the image of your dad in his tighty whiteys, running down the street. How long before that goes away, d'ya think?

Love ya back sweetie.

11:41 a.m.  
Blogger janjan0000 said...

Oh crap, I didn't say Happy Birthday. It's your fault, I got distracted.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!!!!

11:42 a.m.  
Blogger OMDG said...

Happy Birthday 1 day late!!

2:53 p.m.  
Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Happy birthday, babe. Lucky friends, those soulmates of yours. Cheers to you all! :)

2:55 p.m.  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Happy Birthday! Really great post.

My 30th wasn't nearly as cool. I fell asleep at 7:30.

12:18 a.m.  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well a Happy Birthday belatedly, my dear....(I hope your husband will be well, very very soon!)
This has been quite a year for you, I know....I think you are remarkable and I'm glad you have your fairies who are angels, aren't they? These dear people who are your loved ones during good times and bad...May they be close to you always!
My prayers are with you, my dear.

2:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. Happy (belated) birthday.

I just read the above post too -- I'm so sorry to hear Boo's in the hospital. Sending speedy recovery vibes to him and calming vibes to you.

6:44 a.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

Happy late birthday, hun!!

8:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday momma, i'm so glad to hear your voice again. I hope the sick husband gets better and you have a lovely weekend.

1:31 p.m.  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

See you when Boo is better...take good care of your Boo Baby.

6:49 p.m.  
Blogger PetiteMommy said...

Happy Birthday. :)

3:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home